Labels

Thursday 4 July 2013

Umbilicus sinus

I couldn’t talk to anyone as I have admitted in the hospital for one month. The disease is not infectious or some usual disease you could think of. Moreover it is not disease but some special of kind of thing.   Doctors called it as umbilical sinus. It is formed due to the non-stop growth of my umbilicus after the birth. To me, it was grown up to my bladder and the pelvis.
Thank god. He showed this thing just before it gets worse. Otherwise
 But in the mean time I studied a little about that disease. I will report my case.

I have a deep bellybutton (navel).
For last four weeks I happened to see some white liquid with yellowish colour discharged from my navel button (belly button). Scientifically it is called the umbilicus. So I searched it on the web and found that it was belly button discharge that caused by bacterial or fungus infection.
I applied natural remedies such as Neem tree paste. I drank neem juice and applied neem paste over my whole body. But the discharge never stopped. Instead it was increased. Finally it started to give pain that I realized that it was sinus which comes out from my navel.
Soon I concerned to local doctor. But he gave me the basic medicines like paracetamol  and amoxicillin.
And I put amoxicillin over the navel where discharge happens.
The pain was so pathetic that I couldn’t walk or sit or lie down. So I went to the nearby hospital.

Doctor said it was umbilical sinus and said me to take sinogram test.

I don’t know what is that sinogram.  It was said to take a 10 ml syringe, an yellow venflon, towel and an attender. I know about syringe, towel and attender (the person who should attend with the patient).
But I searched about the venflon and for why it needs.

Venflon -  In medicine, a peripheral venous catheter (PVC or peripheral venous line or peripheral venous access catheter) is a catheter (small, flexible tube) placed into a peripheral vein in order to administer medication or fluids. Upon insertion, the line can be used to draw blood.
The catheter is introduced into the vein by a needle (similar to blood drawing), which is subsequently removed while the small tube of the cannula remains in place. The catheter is then fixed by taping it to the patient's skin (unless there is allergy to adhesives). Newer catheters have been equipped with additional safety features to avoid needlestick injuries. Modern catheters consist of synthetic polymers such as teflon (hence the often used term 'Venflon' or 'Cathlon' for these venous catheters).
A peripheral venous catheter is the most commonly used vascular access in medicine. It is given to most emergency room and surgical patients, and before some radiological imaging techniques using radiocontrast, for example. In the United States, more than 25 million patients get a peripheral venous line each year.           
A peripheral venous catheter is usually placed in a vein on the hand or arm. It should be distinguished from a central venous catheter which is inserted in a central vein (usually in the internal jugular vein of the neck or the subclavian vein of the chest), or an arterial catheter which can be placed in a peripheral as well as a central artery. In children, a local anaesthetic gel (such as lidocaine) is applied to the insertion site to facilitate placement.

After two days, I went to that place to take sinogram test.
It was a dreadful day in my life. I understood about venflon but I never thought that it was going to be inserted straight through my navel (umbilicus). They inserted needle through my navel and cleaned the inner parts when I am awake. I am not given any anaesthesia. That is why it was the worst day in my life.  

They put some liquid through venflon to my navel using the 10 ml syringe. Now I understood about sinogram that it is similar to X-rays but it is used to take the clear vision of inner parts.
Blood came out from my navel on taking sinogram. My mom who is the attender cleaned those things. Finally they cleaned my navel and freed me to go out.  But I learned about a new thing called,


SINOGRAM

What is a Sinogram?

A sinogram is a way of outlining any small track or
wound, usually opening onto the skin, by injecting an
X-ray dye (contrast medium) through a fine tube
placed in the opening.

Are there any risks?

All X-ray procedures involve exposure to radiation in
varying amounts. The duration and level of exposure
to X-rays is strictly controlled and kept to the
minimum necessary.
The contrast medium we use is very safe and it is
extremely rare to have a serious reaction when having
a sinogram. Please inform a member of staff if you
suffer from any allergies.


Who will you see?

You will usually be cared for by a small team including
a radiologist and a radiographer. During the examination, they will be watching a television screen and taking separate X-ray films.
Later on the radiologist will review the X-ray images and issue a report.

what happens during the investigation?

You will be taken into the X-ray room and asked to lie on the table. The area of skin
involved will be exposed and cleaned well. The radiologist will then gently insert a fine
tube into the opening and inject a little clear dye through it. While the dye is going in
the doctor will be looking at the area on the camera and taking some pictures.

How long will it take?

Usually it should take no more than 30 minutes.

Are there any side effects?

Occasionally there may be a little discomfort but most people do not feel anything.

When will you get the results?

After the procedure, the images will be examined further by the radiologist, who will
then write a report on the findings. Your results will be available from the clinican
who sent you for the examination.

After my sinogram report..

When I went to consult my doctor, in my sinogram report it was said that,

  • Patient was evaluated to sinogram and revealed a blind sinus tract and leakage of contrast from the same opening.

And from the CT scan it was found that,
  
  • Umbilical granuloma with sinus and small inferior extension into the urachal remnant.
  • No evidence of any urachal remnant cyst or diverticulum.
  • No communication with the bladder or underlying bowel.
  • Other organs are normal.

First in the operation, parts painted and draped. Elliptical incision made around the umbilicus. Sinus tract identified and isolated. There is extension of sinus tract into pelvis. Lower midline laparotomy incision made.
There were 2 sinus tract extents from the umbilicus to the wall of pelvis which was dissected up to lateral wall of pelvis, and trans fixation done.
Fortunately it was not too much connected with the bladder so they cut it out. But blood leakage was happened through my bladder. Urinal bag was attached with my bladder for 12 days. After 6 days blood was stopped and the urine started to come but with reddish colour. After 12 days it became normal.

That is how I am cured from umbilical sinus.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let everyone know what you think about this

All Posts

    Featured post

    Monopoles - 5 - Dirac Monopoles in Quantum Mechanics - Part - 1

    We know, Magnetic vector potential plays the crucial part in the Hamiltonian of an Electromagnetic system where the Hamiltonian formulation...

    Translate